The summer could be a tough time for most of us to do what we need to do to get and stay fit and as lean as we can. I know it is for me. Barbecues, beer, beautiful weather and sometimes a lot less of the exercise that we really could use. I know it tends to keep us out of the gym more often than it should. Don’t sacrifice all that hard work, just make better time of it.
So here is a short list of some help that I am throwing together for you;
- Drink more water and less of everything else. (juice, soda, alcohol). Yeah, yeah I know where is the fun?
- Enjoy small nutritious meals often.
- Eat fresh, seasonable vegetables and fruit. I prefer really green fibrous veggies(you know, the leafy green kind) which are packed with tons of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Fruit in moderation, of course.
- Have lean sources of protein with eat meal, like eggs, fish, poultry and lean beef. Hormone free, local grass-fed animals are preferred. That’s if you can find some. They are out there!
- If you’re short time during the busy summer months, keep most of your workouts short but intense. 2-3 Full body circuits with short rest periods work the best.
- You can always head down to the high school track for a few 200 meter( distance is irrelevant, keep duration around 15 -60 seconds of effort) sprints with 2-3 minute rest periods(depending on your fitness level and experience of course. Just don’t get to overheated, rest more and drink plenty of H2O when needed. Start with 4-5 intervals and work your way up to 8 or so over time.
- Don’t forget to throw in a little light aerobic exercise in there too, just to rejuvenate those energy systems of course. Get outside and go for a brisk walk or bike ride to the beach.
Don’t forget to get plenty of rest. The heat and exercise demands placed on the body during the hot , humid summer months demand plenty of good quality sleep. So don’t skimp, get at least 7 solid hours. Your body will thank you and so will your family and friends.
Just a few for the list but I really think if you can stick to these requisites you can have a really fit, successful and healthful summer.
Strength For Life